For Immediate Release: March 16, 2023
Contact: Kelsey Pritchard, [email protected]
Fact Check: Majority of Floridians Support HB7
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida House Healthcare Regulation Subcommittee this morning gave approval for HB7 to advance to the Health and Human Services Committee for a hearing. In a 13-5 vote, members of the subcommittee showed their support for the measure that would protect the unborn at six weeks when babies have a heartbeat.
SBA Pro-Life America’s Southern Regional Director Caitlin Connors applauded the bill’s advancement:
“The fight for life has momentum in Florida. We thank Rep. Jenna Persons Mulicka for sponsoring this bill and all of the House members who voted for life this morning. This is the first step to saving tens of thousands of babies each year in Florida.”
In response to claims made by pro-abortion advocates during the subcommittee hearing, SBA Pro-Life America countered with facts on the legislation:
Fact 1: Floridians support HB7.
- 62% of Floridians support legislation to protect unborn babies when a heartbeat is detected with exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother.
- 61% of Independents and 58% of women surveyed support.
Fact 2: The six-week bill includes protections for women who face health emergencies.
- HB7 includes a provision that adequately protects women and doctors when intervention is needed for emergency health reasons.
- This measure, along with every existing pro-life law in the country, allows for the necessary and timely medical treatment to save the life of a pregnant woman in an emergency.
Fact 3: Once a heartbeat is detected, a baby has over a 90% chance of surviving to birth.
- The heart is the baby’s first organ to form and function.
- Around six weeks gestation, a baby’s heart beats around 110 beats per minute.
Fact 4: Florida’s pregnancy centers exist solely to help women in need, almost always at no charge.
- Florida pregnancy centers served more than 76,000 women, men, youth and families in 2019, providing services valued at $18.3 million, including nearly $12 million in medical services.
- Pregnancy centers offer pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, medical exams, counseling, parent classes, financial classes, and resources such as food, diapers, clothing, and financial assistance for housing and utilities.
Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America is a network of more than one million pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.