FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 4, 2021
Contact: Prudence Robertson, [email protected], 240-672-2828
Dobbs Late Abortion Case Gives SCOTUS Opportunity to Return Right to Protect Children & Mothers to the People & Their Legislators
Washington, D.C. – Today is the first day of the 2021-2022 session for the U.S. Supreme Court. This session the court will consider Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, a case involving Mississippi’s Gestational Age Act which would stop abortion beyond 15 weeks. The Court will hear oral arguments on December 1, and will address whether all pre-viability abortion limits are unconstitutional.
SBA List issued the following statement today:
“The Dobbs late abortion case is potentially the most consequential abortion case in fifty years. The Court has a landmark opportunity to correct its past overreach and once again allow states to pass common ground pro-life laws that reflect the will of the people,” said SBA List national spokeswoman Mallory Quigley. “Because of the Court, the U.S. is among only a handful of nations worldwide to allow abortion on demand up until the moment of birth. Americans are eager to update our country’s abortion laws – at least after the point by which unborn children feel pain.”
Earlier this year, SBA List launched a nationwide campaign asserting the humanity of unborn children. Public opinion polls consistently show a strong majority of Americans reject pro-abortion extremism. The group is already on the ground in Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Florida speaking to voters about current U.S. abortion law and ensuring they know where their representatives stand on this important issue ahead of the 2022 midterm elections.
To help the public, members of the media, and lawmakers follow the science, Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI) recently released 15 Facts at 15 Weeks, a new report from neuroscientist and CLI Associate Scholar Dr. Katrina Furth highlighting 15 amazing scientific facts about unborn babies at 15 weeks’ gestation, including:
- By 15 weeks of pregnancy, every major organ has grown and most are functional.
- The heart pumps 26 quarts of blood per day.
- The intestines have started the lifelong contractions that propel food through the digestive system.
- The kidneys already filter toxins.
- The unborn baby prefers sucking his right or left thumb.
- By studying ultrasounds, scientists have determined that 85% of unborn babies prefer moving their right hand over their left hand. About 85% of adults prefer their right hand, too.
- If a twin, the unborn baby moves more gently when reaching toward her twin’s face.
- The baby responds to taste.
- Flavors from the mother’s food seep into the amniotic fluid, peaking after about 45 minutes.
- If the amniotic fluid tastes sweet because of an injection of saccharin, the baby swallows more fluid. If the amniotic fluid tastes bitter, the baby swallows less.
- The baby’s heart has already beat approximately 15,800,000 times.
- A baby’s heart starts beating about 22 days after fertilization.
- In total, a baby’s heart beats about 54 million times between conception and birth.
- The baby’s body responds to both touch and pain.
- The baby responds to light touches over most of the body.
- If something touches the palm of the baby’s hand, the baby will bend his or her fingers as if to grasp the object.
- Neurotransmitters specific to pain processing appear between 10- and 14-weeks’ gestation. The spinal nerves needed to transmit pain to the thalamus have formed by 15 weeks’ gestation.
SBA List is a network of 900,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.