FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 14, 2017
Contact: Mallory Quigley, [email protected] 202-223-8073
SBA List Hits Back on Planned Parenthood Lies
Washington, D.C. – In response to news that the Justice Department has asked to review documents from the Senate Judiciary Committee potentially implicating Planned Parenthood and its associates in the sale of aborted babies’ body parts for profit, the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) released the following statement:
“We welcome the Justice Department’s investigation of Planned Parenthood,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Not content with their status as the nation’s largest abortion business, evidence shows Planned Parenthood sought to squeeze every last opportunity for cash from the sale of hearts, brains, lungs, and livers of the unborn children whose lives they end. Planned Parenthood and its associates are terrified of having their sordid business model exposed. We commend the Trump administration for holding them accountable and urge Congress to follow through on the promise to redirect the half billion dollars in taxpayer funding the abortion giant receives each year.”
In responding to the DOJ, Planned Parenthood makes several misleading claims:
- Claim: Three Congressional committees investigated Planned Parenthood and found no wrongdoing.
- Fact: All three House Committee investigations simply ended when the Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives was formed and took over. The Panel issued a 470-page final report detailing evidence that Planned Parenthood and its associates may have trafficked in the organs of aborted babies and, based on that evidence, made thirteen criminal referrals.
- Claim: Twelve states investigated Planned Parenthood and found no wrongdoing.
- Fact: The allegations contained in the undercover videos involve Planned Parenthood centers in states that did not investigate. These twelve states conducted some level of review, but this has no bearing on whether illegal activity occurred in other states. The Senate Judiciary Committee and House Select Panel conducted nationwide investigations and spent almost one and a half years reviewing 30,000 pages of documents and hearing hours of testimony, and their referrals to the Justice Department pertained to different Planned Parenthood affiliates than the very limited state audits did.
- Claim: A Texas Grand Jury cleared Planned Parenthood of wrongdoing.
- Fact: The Harris County District Attorney admitted not only that the Grand Jury never voted on whether to indict Planned Parenthood, but that his office shared confidential evidence with Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast in defiance of direct orders from the Attorney General. Charges against the Center for Medical Progress were dropped.
Susan B. Anthony List and its partner super PAC, Women Speak Out spent more than $18 million in the 2016 election cycle, knocking on more than 1.1 million doors in battleground states to defeat Hillary Clinton and maintain a pro-life Senate. SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 600,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.