FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 2, 2021
Contact: Prudence Robertson, [email protected] | 240-672-2828
Pelosi Announces Vote on Extreme Bill That Would Eliminate Pro-life State Laws Nationwide
Washington, D.C. – On the heels of the U.S. Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision allowing the Texas Heartbeat Act to remain in effect, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi today announced plans to hold a vote on the so-called “Women’s Health Protection Act” following President Biden’s call for such action. This bill would expand abortion on demand by preventing enforcement of existing laws that protect unborn children at the federal and state level and blocking states from passing new pro-life laws.
The national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List responded in a statement:
“Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi want to permanently stifle American debate on abortion and instead impose a regime of abortion on demand, up until the moment of birth, paid for by the taxpayer,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “The deceptively named ‘Women’s Health Protection Act’ should really be called the ‘National Abortion on Demand Act.’ Existing laws at risk if the legislation passes include limits on late-term abortions, waiting periods, informed consent laws, and limits on discriminatory abortions, and many others.
“Washington Democrats are out of touch with the majority of Americans who want to follow the science and humanize our extreme and outdated abortion laws – not make them even more extreme.”
Public opinion polls consistently show a strong majority of Americans reject pro-abortion extremism. Earlier this year, SBA List launched a nationwide campaign asserting the humanity of unborn children which is evident throughout pregnancy:
- At 6 weeks:
- Unborn babies in the womb have a heartbeat.
- Blood vessels are forming into the circulatory system.
- The brain and spinal cord are beginning to develop.
- By 10 weeks:
- Babies have arms and legs, fingers and toes.
- The baby can kick and will jump if startled.
- Their pain receptors have been developing for weeks (week 7).
- At 15 weeks, babies:
- Have fully developed hearts – pumping 26 quarts of blood per day.
- Have fully formed noses and lips, and eyelids and eyebrows.
- Can taste and make facial expressions, yawn, hiccup, swallow, and suck their thumbs.
- They can feel pain: By 13 to 14 weeks, almost the entire body responds to light touch; brain structures are mature enough by 15 weeks to process pain; painful procedures trigger a hormonal stress response.
SBA List is a network of 900,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.