For Immediate Release: June 21, 2023
Contact: [email protected]
Washington, D.C. – One year after the Dobbs decision, new polling reveals that Americans overwhelmingly agree with pro-life protections for unborn babies and mothers and reject abortion extremism:
- 77% of voters agree with at least some limits by 15 weeks when the child can feel pain.
- Only 15% believe abortion should be allowed throughout pregnancy without any limits.
- Nearly six in 10 voters would support Congress passing legislation to protect pain-capable babies after 15 weeks (with exceptions for the life of the mother, rape and incest), while allowing states to pass more protective laws.
- Includes majorities of Democrats, Independents, women and self-described pro-choice voters.
- Seven in 10 voters agree that there should be a requirement to notify parents when a minor child seeks to have an abortion.
- Includes 54% of Democrats, 65% of Independents and 54% of pro-choice voters.
- Three fourths (76%) support pregnancy centers that do not perform abortions but instead offer support to people during their pregnancy and after a baby is born.
- Includes 68% of Democrats, 70% of Independents and 77% of women.
The poll of 1,000 voters nationwide was conducted by Tarrance Group for Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America. It has a ±3.1% margin of error.
SBA Pro-Life America President Marjorie Dannenfelser responded:
“When it comes to protecting life and supporting women, Americans agree far more than the media will report. We believe the science that shows babies in the womb have a beating heart at six weeks, can suck their thumb as early as 10 weeks and feel pain at least by 15 weeks. We believe parents have a right to know if their daughters are considering abortion. And we believe women deserve all the compassion, support and resources the pro-life safety net provides to genuinely empower them – not to be sold an abortion and sent off to figure out how to cope on their own.
“A year after Dobbs, nearly half the country has laws reflecting the will of the people. Americans strongly agree Congress also has a role to play in protecting babies from brutal late-term abortions when they can feel pain. We reject the Democrats’ radical agenda of tax-funded abortion on demand until birth. Life is winning across America and that’s worth celebrating.”
Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America is a network of more than one million pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.