FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 29, 2022
Contact: Mallory Carroll, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hoosiers Elected a Pro-Life Supermajority to Protect Unborn Babies & Mothers; S.B. 1 Does Not Meet Expectations
Washington, D.C. – Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America today announced its opposition to the Indiana Legislature’s S.B. 1, authored by State Senator Sue Glick, after lawmakers rejected calls to strengthen pro-life protections during a special session called by Governor Eric Holcomb. SBA Pro-Life America’s Director of State Affairs Sue Liebel was at the Indiana Statehouse Monday to advocate for the protection of the unborn.
The legislation’s problematic language:
- Guts protections against eugenic discrimination abortions by redefining them as not abortions.
- Undermines parental involvement requirements for minors.
- Undermines protective laws that require informed consent, reflection periods, and dignified disposal of human remains.
- Creates a framework for expanding chemical abortion and the setup of abortion pill dispensaries.
- Allows the body parts of aborted children to be bought and sold.
- Limits the attorney general’s ability to enforce and defend state laws if local prosecutors refuse to cooperate.
- Contains undefined exceptions that would in effect permit elective abortion to continue.
SBA Pro-Life America President Marjorie Dannenfelser stated:
“S.B. 1 is not a pro-life bill and is unacceptable. Indiana is one of a few pro-life states that lack strong protections for unborn children. Senate leadership’s proposed legislation not only does not fix this problem, it actually undermines existing pro-life laws. Pro-life voices were shut out of the process and pleas to strengthen the bill were rejected – leaving no option but to oppose it.
“Pro-life Americans did not work tirelessly for 50 years to reverse our nation’s extreme abortion precedents, and Hoosiers did not elect a pro-life supermajority in Indianapolis, for such a betrayal. We stand with our allies at Indiana Right to Life in opposing this bill which fails to meet Hoosiers’ expectations. We will never stop fighting to ensure that unborn children and their mothers are protected in the law.”
Since the Dobbs decision, at least a dozen states have taken action to protect life. SBA Pro-Life America has launched an interactive map to track life-saving laws in the states and the estimated number of abortions impacted.
Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America is a network of more than one million pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.