FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 7, 2022
Contact: Mary Owens, email@example.com
Pro-Life Leader to Media: Tell the Truth About Democrats’ Extremism
Washington, D.C. – A new ABC News/Washington Post poll shows that 64% of Americans reject the Democratic Party position of abortion on demand up to the moment of birth. Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America today called out media outlets for burying this fact and promoting a narrative that late-term abortion has increased in popularity:
“Time after time, the American people have spoken clearly about late-term abortion – they reject it. Two months ago, Republicans introduced legislation that would align with that consensus by setting a minimum federal limit on abortions after 15 weeks, a point by which unborn children can feel pain, in contrast to the Democrats’ unpopular legislation to mandate abortion on demand until birth in all 50 states,” said SBA Pro-Life America President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “As pro-life Republicans go on offense to expose their opponents’ extremism and Democrats fear losing the House and Senate despite record spending on pro-abortion ads, the abortion lobby’s media allies are running cover again. We call on pollsters and the media to stop playing games and communicate the truth about where the overwhelming majority of Americans stand.”
In September U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and U.S. Representative Chris Smith (R-NJ) introduced the Protecting Pain-Capable Unborn Children from Late-Term Abortions Act, federal legislation to limit abortion after 15 weeks, a point by which science reveals unborn children can feel pain.
Polling data consistently shows Americans reject late-term abortion. In 2022 alone:
- In January, a Marist/Knights of Columbus poll found that 71% of Americans – including 70% of Independents and 49% of Democrats – want abortion to be limited, at most, to the first three months of pregnancy.
- In May, following the leak of the draft Dobbs decision, Gallup found 65% of Americans think there should be limits on abortion.
- In May, an OnMessage Inc. poll in six key battleground states found 50% of likely voters are more likely to vote for a Republican candidate who supports a 15-week limit on abortion, versus 30% of voters who prefer a Democratic candidate who supports unlimited abortion up until the moment of birth.
- In June, a Harvard-Harris national poll found 72% of voters would limit abortions by no later than 15 weeks, including 75% of women, 70% of Independents and 60% of rank-and-file Democrats.
- Only 10% of voters support the position of leading Democrats that there should be no limits on abortion.
- In July, national pollingby OnMessage Inc. found:
- 70% of voters oppose abortion without restrictions, including majorities of both pro-choice and pro-life voters.
- 63% of voters disapprove of legislation that would overturn nearly all state-level prohibitions on abortion, even limits on late-term abortion.
- A Trafalgar Group poll conducted September 16-17 found that, by an 18-point margin, voters prefer a 15-week federal limit with exceptions to a federal law that would create a “right” to abortion at any time and block state limits.
- 59% of voters overall preferred the 15-week limit, including 54% of women and majorities of every age group.
This election cycle, SBA Pro-Life America and its entities plan to spend $78 million to protect life across America. This includes reaching eight million voters across battleground states – four million directly at their doors – to elect pro-life leaders across America and in D.C.
Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America is a network of more than one million pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.