|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 12, 2019
|CONTACT: Mallory Quigley
Radical New Law Expands Abortion on Demand Through Birth, Repeals Illinois’ Partial-Birth Abortion Ban, Allows Non-Doctors to Perform Abortions, & More
Washington, D.C. – Today the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) slammed radical legislation signed into law by Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker to expand abortion on demand through birth, allow non-doctors to perform abortions, repeal the state’s ban on partial birth abortion, and more.
“While a growing number of states are working to advance popular pro-life laws, Illinois is trying to outdo New York’s abortion extremism – and unborn children and their mothers will pay the price,” said SBA List’s National Campaign Chair Jill Stanek, an Illinois native, a former nurse who witnessed babies being born alive and left to die in Chicago. “The bill Illinois lawmakers passed is so radical, they even went out of their way to repeal the state’s ban on barbaric partial-birth abortions. Americans of every political persuasion are appalled by these attempts to expand abortion on demand through the moment of birth and even infanticide, and that in turn is driving pro-life momentum around the country. There is no pride or glory in being the most extreme pro-abortion state in the nation.”
The Honorable Peter Breen, former Illinois Representative and Thomas More Society Vice President and Senior Counsel, added, “This is easily the most expansive abortion law in the United States.”
The new law will:
- Repeal the Illinois Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act;
- Create a “fundamental right” to abortion on demand through the moment of birth, for any reason;
- Provide legal framework to abolish Illinois’ parental notification law;
- Remove licensing requirements for abortion facilities;
- Allow non-doctors to perform abortions;
- Force all private health insurance plans to cover abortion on demand, including religious organizations;
- Expressly declare that the unborn child has no rights;
- Remove conscience protections for pro-life doctors, nurses, and hospitals;
- Eliminate the requirement that abortion data, including the number of abortions performed on out-of-state women or underage girls, be reported publicly;
- Eliminate the requirement to investigate maternal deaths due to abortion.
SBA List is a network of more than 787,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.