FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 22, 2015
Contact: Mallory Quigley, [email protected], 202-223-8073
Legislation has been delayed for Three Months
Washington, D.C – Today a group of national pro-life leaders released a joint statement urging House Republican Leadership to schedule a vote on the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.
“Today marks three months since a scheduled vote on landmark pro-life legislation, the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, was delayed by the House GOP.
“This legislation protects women and their unborn children after 20 weeks, or 5 months of pregnancy, from painful and dangerous late-term abortions. It is a simple, compassionate proposal supported by a large majority of Americans, including women and young people.
“The babies and mothers being targeted by the late-term abortion industry have waited long enough for protection. We call on the House GOP to schedule an immediate vote on the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.
“The Senate stands ready to take up this legislation. A vote on this popular, modest bill will serve as a benchmark as to whether the House GOP is serious about protecting unborn babies and women.”
Leaders signing on to this statement include:
- Marjorie Dannenfelser, President, Susan B. Anthony List
- Tony Perkins, President, Family Research Council
- Penny Young Nance, CEO and President, Concerned Women for America
- Jeanne Mancini, President, March for Life
- Janet Morana, Co-Founder, Silent No More Awareness Campaign
- Fr. Frank Pavone, National Director, Priests for Life
- Charmaine Yoest, President & CEO, Americans United for Life
- Kristan Hawkins, President, Students for Life of America
- Brian Burch, President, CatholicVote.org
- Dr. Russell Moore, President, Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission
A November 2014 poll from Quinnipiac found that 60 percent of Americans, including 56 percent of Independents and 46 percent of Democrats, support the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. To date, 14 states have enacted Pain-Capable laws.
To date, fourteen declared and potential GOP presidential candidates have signed on in support of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.
The Susan B. Anthony List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 365,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.